Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Little Red Hen Garden


Dividing the produce!


The gardening team
The offspring of the gardening team.

How the offspring garden-note the mud!
I am enjoying delicious, home-grown vegetables. Today I ate corn-on-the-cob, and I am in heaven. It is amazing to me that I helped in growing yummy food.

The majority of Monday nights this spring and summer have been spent at a garden that we are participating in with: McBrides, Phair's, Alvord's, Pryor's and Airmet's. The garden is feeding six families very well and we are enjoying: tomatoes, green peppers, Anaheim peppers, onions, corn, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, pumpkins and blackberries. Soon we will also have watermelon, popcorn and potatoes.

Previously, we have enjoyed radishes, carrots, peas, beets (in the form of beet chocolate cupcakes from Deborah), broccoli, spinach and lettuce.

I am learning so much from the seasoned gardeners and the kids have a great time running around and playing in the mud! If a dirty kid is a happy kid, then my kids are the happiest on Monday night!

The best part is that each family takes turns bringing treats and preparing F.H.E. My goal of doing F.H.E. every Monday this year has been much more successful with this plan!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful thing. I totally believe a dirty kid is a happy kid. You can only play in the mud for so long.

    ReplyDelete