The nurse took pictures as Spencer was born.
Taylor cutting the cord. With our midwife, Karen McBride, from the Circle of Life Women's Center.
So amazing!
Spencer Bruce Dearden, born Oct. 4- 7 lbs. 10 oz. 20.5 inches. My water broke about 11 p.m on October 3, I called Jenni McBride and she guessed before I even said it that I was starting labor. Of course, why else would I be calling her at that time of night. I told her it would be a couple of hours before we went to the hospital, I knew that after my water breaks that I would start having contractions, but it takes a few hours for them to be regular. I showered and cleaned the house, we even cleaned the backyard patio-I say take advantage of the adrenaline. Jenni came over and we went to the hospital about 2 a.m.
Just like with Carter, the baby had blocked the amniotic fluid so they were not sure my water had really broken. The nurse tried to get a sample of fluid and it didn’t read immediately as amniotic, so then she sent a sample to the lab, but they said they didn’t have enough to tell. Thankfully, the nurse believed me and at that point my contractions were fairly regular so they started me on antibiotics and officially admitted me. Then Spencer shifted and they got all the amniotic fluid they wanted! Just a side note-I need to research why they care so much if it is the amniotic fluid-just believe me, this is my fourth kid, I know when my water breaks!
Spencer was born at 6:17 a.m. This was a really fast progression, I went from a 2 to a 10 in one hour. I was dying and thought I was just getting old and wimpy because I didn't remember the pain being that bad. I got the epidural before they checked me and then they explained why it was so bad, that was a fast change! The nurses were really great and luckily my midwife lives close. Basically, I had the epidural, pushed a few times and he was here. I wonder if I could have done it natural?
Spencer is our first baby that has had NICU nurses. I was strep b positive and they didn't have enough time for the full antibiotics and then there was meconium in my fluid so they had a nurse for that in case he inhaled. But in both cases he was fine, so he didn't need any special care.
The worst part was that I got a spinal headache from the epidural. I basically couldn’t move or sit up without serious pain! I told Taylor that something was wrong and I thought I had pulled a muscle or something in my neck or back during delivery. The next day when I saw the Dr. she determined that is why I had such a bad headache and they came and did a blood patch, where they take blood from you arm and put it into your spinal cord to fill in the gap that is causing fluid to rush from you head and causing the headache.
We stayed in the hospital for two days so they could confirm that Spencer didn’t have any strep b symptoms and then we joyfully went home.
Just like with Carter, the baby had blocked the amniotic fluid so they were not sure my water had really broken. The nurse tried to get a sample of fluid and it didn’t read immediately as amniotic, so then she sent a sample to the lab, but they said they didn’t have enough to tell. Thankfully, the nurse believed me and at that point my contractions were fairly regular so they started me on antibiotics and officially admitted me. Then Spencer shifted and they got all the amniotic fluid they wanted! Just a side note-I need to research why they care so much if it is the amniotic fluid-just believe me, this is my fourth kid, I know when my water breaks!
Spencer was born at 6:17 a.m. This was a really fast progression, I went from a 2 to a 10 in one hour. I was dying and thought I was just getting old and wimpy because I didn't remember the pain being that bad. I got the epidural before they checked me and then they explained why it was so bad, that was a fast change! The nurses were really great and luckily my midwife lives close. Basically, I had the epidural, pushed a few times and he was here. I wonder if I could have done it natural?
Spencer is our first baby that has had NICU nurses. I was strep b positive and they didn't have enough time for the full antibiotics and then there was meconium in my fluid so they had a nurse for that in case he inhaled. But in both cases he was fine, so he didn't need any special care.
The worst part was that I got a spinal headache from the epidural. I basically couldn’t move or sit up without serious pain! I told Taylor that something was wrong and I thought I had pulled a muscle or something in my neck or back during delivery. The next day when I saw the Dr. she determined that is why I had such a bad headache and they came and did a blood patch, where they take blood from you arm and put it into your spinal cord to fill in the gap that is causing fluid to rush from you head and causing the headache.
We stayed in the hospital for two days so they could confirm that Spencer didn’t have any strep b symptoms and then we joyfully went home.
He is beautiful! What a great birthday/anniversary present!
ReplyDelete