My Dad had a great sense of
humor, so I would like to share a quote with you about what he thought about
funerals. He said that they are just
another “Darn” church meeting with a dead body in front.
When I was in Graduate School
getting my degree in Social Work we had to complete a paper about our childhood
and family. The intent was for us to
identify issues that we had in our own past so that we would not transfer these
problems onto our clients. As I answered
the questions I was able to really see what a fantastic job my parents did in
raising us. I was able to say that I
could rely on my upbringing and background as a solid foundation for what does
work in a family. What a great blessing
it is to know that your parents support you and love you unconditionally.
When I was twelve I
made this cross-stitch for my Dad, it says “Dear God, My Dad can do anything,
so if you need any help just ask him.”
It really sums up how I felt about my Dad. I was blessed to have the security of knowing
that WHATEVER I was doing I could count on my Dad to help me and support me.
As kids we always loved to go and help Dad in the
garage. He had a little stool with
wheels on it that he had made for us to use and we liked to help hand him tools
when he was working.
There are a million examples of how Dad spent countless
hours helping me, but I want to highlight two.
First, when I was on seminary council in High School each member was
asked to prepare a devotional and have a small trinket handout that could
attach to a keychain. The idea was at
the end of the year we would have a key chain on talk topics. I decided that I wanted to use the scripture
Matt 7: 1-2 Judge Not, Least you Be Judged.
I wanted to make little gavels, like a Judge would use as the
charm. It doesn’t seem like a hard job
to make fifteen of these little charms, but I remember being out in the garage
working with my Dad until late at night trying to get these drilled and the
handle cut and put together. This
example sticks in my head because I remember being thankful that we had the
tools to create something like this and that I had a Dad to help me do it. Many, many, many times I turned to my parents
to help me accomplish projects and I know that I am who I am because I had the
unconditional support of my Dad.
The second example is a bit bigger project. When I was fifteen my Dad was able to
purchase a Monza Spyder car for the reasonable price of $1.00. It was such a bargain because the engine
needed to be re-built. Dad took on this
big project for me, but he also included me in the process. I had to check out book from the library on
internal combustion engines and I spent a lot of time helping my Dad fix this
car. I have many memories of being in
the garage my whole life, but there is a great lesson in building and caring
for something. I loved being able to
have a car in High School and I felt the love and trust from my Dad as he built
it for me and provided that opportunity for independence.
Elder James E. Faust said, “I suggest that the ultimate
judgement will come to us in terms of what kind of person we have been, what
kind of husband we have been, what kind of father we have been, and what kind
of family we have raised.” Dad has his
priorities right his full focus was on the family, he worked hard to provide
for us, he was always available for us and we knew that we had his
unconditional love.
It was a great blessing to
see my Dad interact with my children.
Some may have thought that my Dad was a bit gruff. But those kids made him melt. He loved them and they loved him. Carter has great memories of riding in
Grandpa’s truck to go and see the ducks and sprinklers. Serena is my little nurturer and when Dad was
to the stage of needing to rest upstairs she escaped up there one day and gave
him a kiss and asked him if he was all better.
I am grateful to know that
families are forever and I know that our Savior is there to support us in our
times of sorrows. I am thankful for the
peace that we have been blessed with and I say this in the name of Jesus
Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment